Friday, October 7, 2011

OOOOOOOOh the attack of evil hornworms

I have never seen them this little before now. By the time ive seen them in the past they are about an inch or so long and the size of a pencil. Ive been checking my plants a couple of times a day. Well ... grrrr... got up this morning, drinking my cup of coffee surveying my little 3x16 strip of heaven and OOOOOOOOOO EEEEEEEEEEMMMM GEEEEEEE.. not one..but several freshly hatched hornworms were having themselves a feast on  the leaves of one of my tomato plants.
I am trying to raise my produce without added chemicals. That said, I reached for my squirt bottle of cider vinegar and dawn dish soup. I wanted to see if it really kills bugs and evil, lowdown creatures like hornworms. So i cut the branch of the tomato plant off, layed it on a board and squirted it with my magic potion. It didnt happen instantly, but in a matter of 5 minutes they were curled up in a small ball nolonger munching down on the tender leaves. Ok.. this could work.. i like this idea.
I have read of a product called BT (initials for some long words) Its a natural product. Not harmful to humans. But it is deadly to pests. Im gonna keep reading up on it a little more before i try it. But most of the organic farmers I chatter with online are using it. Except for the hard core tree huggers...and im sure the reason they dont use it is due to the fact they have guilt over killing a bug... j/k.

I am supposed to be putting my hoop house up this morning. But I am missed a couple of brackets. When the kids get here I'll make a run to the hardware store. Im so excited about it. Cant wait. My plastic wont be here for another week or so, but that could be a good thing. It will give me time to get all my boxes inside fixed up without the plastic in the way.

Well.. thats about all happening in my little world this morning... Talk to ya soon

No comments:

Post a Comment