Monday, October 17, 2011

Update on the gardenette and hoop house

Remember back before I started building my little hoop house and I was worried about if it would be warm enough in the winter? Oddest thing with a green house. When then sun comes thru the plastic it heats up. I still have both ends open and when I walked thru this morning, there is an obvious temperature change. I dont think im going to have to worry about the heat.. its cooling it that is gonna be this issue. You know I joked about the little air unit... but come May - Sept I may have to use the fan setting.

Guess I'll do a little garden update.

After 2 weeks of battling whatever was eating my peas I plant, Ive actually got them up. Something was digging the seeds up. I would go out in the morning and you could see where ever seed had been. I learned a little something the second time around. I put the pea seeds in a damp paper towel inside of a zip lock bag. they sprouted in about 2 days. I then planted the sprouted seeds. They come up much faster doing it this way. So Ive got pea plants about 4 inches tall. They are just starting to reach up and grab the trellis. If you have never had a sweet pea right off the vine.. you are missing a taste of heaven. They are nothing like the frozen or canned or even fresh peas from the supermarket.

My tomatoes are loaded. I counted 28 this morning. We have a cold front.. or should i say cool front moving in Wed, so I am going to build a mini hoop house over them so I dont lose them to the cool. In Texas it will heat right back up. It should just get down in the high 40s at night, no frost but im not taking any chances on losing them.

My cucumbers... well the ones the white flies didnt destroy... are only putting off male flowers. Not one female yet. Im thinking i have some gay plants.. oh well like gay men.. they are pretty to look at anyway.

My green beans are loaded with 4 inch bean pods. I should get one crop off of them

Carrots and Beets in the pots are doing great.. no bunny. If you have never eaten tender carrot or beat greens you are missing a treat. They are very yummy in a salad. Especially the beet green. I think im going to designate a small part of my hoop house for tender salad greens. I like them with just a little olive oil, salt and pepper.

Turnips are doing great... My second crop is about 3 inches tall now putting off their first set of real leaves. Greens really are easy to grow. I just planted a row of mustard between the turnips and the tomatoes.. We'll see how that works.

I was thinking I planted this stuff the first of Sept. But it was the 15th. So my little gardenette is only a month old as of Saturday. Wow.. Ive been eating turnip greens for 2 weeks now. And the ones ive leave alone have little purple turnips on the bottom. It is so nice to go out, and pick the veggies for dinner. I like it..lol

Well.. im off. gonna go finish my little house. Im not gonna put a door on it just yet.. i think it needs the ventilation..LOL. Then im planting Brussel Sprouts, Mustard, Spinach, 2 types of lettuce, collards and Cauliflower. Im so excited. You know me.. i could be a vegetarian really easy.

Here is an almost finished hoop house. I'll post one tomorrow of the finished and my seeds planted

No comments:

Post a Comment