Saturday, October 8, 2011

And the battle of the hoop house vs Deb continues

Well.. I am well into the 3rd day of a 4 hour project..LOL. I think I'm winning however.
This was what i started out with. The "hoops are supposed to attach to the base using metal brackets. Thought i would save a 25 cents a bracket and use plastic... WRONG.... metal.. only metal. that was day one.
Day 2 Hoop house 1 Deb 0
Well it started out very well. Got all my pieces cut, connector pieces. Put it all together. The web site said don't worry about using PVC glue.. it will stay together... WRONG... one piece pulled loose and smacked me up side the head. Sent kids to the store for purple stuff and "make you high" glue. NOW... parts all glued together... no more knots on the head.
Day 3 Hoop house 2 Deb 0
Got up this morning.. good mood ready to tackle said 4 hour project again. It went well... got the base all screwed together, hoops attached. Looked good.. looked like the picture.
Hoop house 2 Deb 1
Then the "Ling" gene kicked in. You know that one... if one screw will work then 3 will work better. It just looked rather flimsy to me. So I took it all part.. drove some pipe in the ground, screwed the base to the pipe.. added some 1x6's on the ends at the base. Added a 2x4 frame. A HA... I was on a roll now.
Hoop house 2 Deb 2
Got the base secured to the ground... PVC secured to the base... a few extra 3 inch screws just to make sure.

Tomorrow or Monday I have to build the end walls. Which are mostly door. But 2x4s go up from the ground to the hoops on each end to frame a doorway. Then I can build my boxes on the inside. Should have all this done by the time my UV plastic gets here. If you re thinking the corners are leaning.. they are, they are supported by the end frame when i get it screwed on.
Sigh.... I think i need a glass of wine... oh wait... no that's not good... wine make crime in a city...LOL.. just a little poke at the latest City of Vidor Drama...LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment