Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Murder in the garden, and random rambling

My little prince William and I were watering the garden this morning and I noticed one leaf on one of my tomato plants looked a little odd. When I looked a little closer it was a horn worm... OMG a worm.. eating my precious tomato plant.. the nerve of that creature doing what it was created to do. If youve not seen one of these creatures they are ugly. They are the exact shade of green as the tomato stalk with this horn thing sticking up and boy can they munch down on a tomato plant quick.

If you know me, you know i cannot stand bugs, lizards(shutter) or creepy crawly things. The lizards and I have an agreement in the garden. You dont get on me.. and i let you live. So far we seem to be holding up each others end of the deal. On that note.. did you know lizards wont eat lovebugs?  I watched a little lizard on my rose bush eat, what I thought were lovebugs but on closer look he was eating little aphids. The love bugs swarming all around him. Those things are so nasty even a lizard wont eat them. Anyway.. back to the bugs... I aint touching that creature on the tomato plant... so i had an idea and it worked quite well. I went inside and got a pair of scissors and just cut him in half while he was munching. And i left his dead carcass there for all the other bugs to see what happens to creatures that eat my plants. By the way.. they bleed green. <shutter>

On this same topic of murder. I watched a video on Youtube.. oh my why have i not discovered Youtube before now???... anyway, one of the ladies i met on youtube has a farm in southern canada. She raises goats for milk, cheese and soap.  Rabbits for meat and chickens for eggs and meat. She grows all her own veggies in a garden during the summer and she has a heated hot house she raises things in the winter.

I would love to get to the point that I only bought certain things at a store. I think i would need to get past my mental block about goats milk. Ive never tried it so i cant really say i dont like it. I love feta cheese, which is a goats milk product. We'll just add that to my bucket list.

I would be content as all get out on a little farm. Well.. as long as i had the internet i could pop on and chatter daily. My little half acre is starting to look like one. My goal for this winter is a green house of sorts. And I would love to fence in a little area in the back for some chickens. No rooster needed.. just a few hens. I dont know that i could actually clean a chicken. I know how to do it, I watched dad do it a couple of times...LOL and theres always youtube...lol you can see anything on that.

Anyway.. its almost 5 am, its quiet... i miss the sun coming up early. Y'all have a great day... its lawn mowing day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment