Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Just another Monday... wait isnt it Wed?

Its been a busy day today. Drank coffee with Mom this morning discussed sewing machines. Had a little debate on facebook... always fun. LOL
Had another cup of my hibiscus tea.. its really good I'm telling you.

Then my fav.... gardening. Yesterday I pulled up the last turnips, well almost.. turnip greens actually. IF i would leave the greens along I would probably get turnips..LOL. We had those for dinner last night with cornbread.

The black spots are black pepper flakes.

 On that note, Mother will be pleased to hear.. I don't like sweet cornbread. I guess for muffins its alright. But sweet cornbread under greens was just weird. I normally just put a tablespoon of sugar not really enough to "sweeten" it, but it just adds something. Well evidently my taste buds have changed. Wont be doing that one again.
Pulling the turnips left a blank space in my little gardenette.


Its all the green along the front edges. So you can see how blah it was looking

This morning I replanted it with spinach, mustard and collards. All of these don't have an issue with frost and can even take just a little freeze. I'm going to miss my tomato plants across the back. Maybe I can talk the landlord into skirting... yeahhhhhhhhhhhh.. umm no. In the blank space on the front are more turnips coming up, they are about 2 inches tall now.

Looking at the hoop house, I have quite a bit of unused space. So I planted some bush green beans along the back in front of the sweet peas that are trellising quite nicely. Then on the west side of the HH I planted some more cucumbers. My mustard, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, spinach and lettuces (that just sounds odd.. but its more than one type) and collards that I planted last week are up. Just something exciting about little baby plants. They almost all except spinach start out looking the same, two little leaves. I'm going to have to do some serious thinning in the mustard patch. I don't know what i was thinking.

Oh let me go take a pic real quick of the tomatoes I'm rooting... BRB

These are "suckers" off the tomato plants I have growing.

To tell you how quickly they have rooted. I pulled these and put them in water 5 days ago. They have a lot of roots growing in just 5 days. I will transplant them into soil this week. Then these will go in pots in the hoop house.
If this works. I paid 1.79 for 6 tomato plants. So far I'm at 30 tomatoes from them. I was going to save the seeds and start new ones. Then I learned online that i could root the sucker plants and it will clone the mother plant and produce just as many tomatoes. If this is true I will have Celebrity tomatoes growing all the time. So my under 2 dollar purchase will just keep going... and going... and going.
I just realized I do not have any peppers growing. I'll have to fix that.

I am following an old cajun gentleman's advice and planting just a little something every week. That way it doesn't all get ripe at the same time. But I can see now.. my hoop house ain't near big enough. I can visualize what its going to look like in about 4 weeks. The sweet peas will be trellised up the north end, cucumbers trellised in the southwest corner, bush green beans in front of the peas and cucumbers, lettuce, spinach and mustard on the east wall and collards, Brussels sprouts and mustard on the west wall. Oh and 3 tomato plants in containers in the middle aisle.
My outside gardenette will be fine for probably another 4 weeks if we don't get an early frost. I picked about a small pot of green beans today... those vines are just loaded with blooms and beans. Ive picked them early. I like a tender snap bean. It takes about 5 days for a bean to go from tiny little bean to full grown. The vines are still full of blooms.
I cannot wait to make a dish of pasta tossed with olive oil, basil and tomatoes. I check everyday... LOL. I think I could live on pasta and tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment