Sunday, October 9, 2011

Update on the little gardenette

Thought I would do a little update this morning on my little 3x16 gardenette.
We enjoyed tender turnip greens a couple of weeks ago. Man do i love those. So i replanted seed where i had harvested. They are about an inch tall now. About time to harvest another 24 inches of that row. Did i mention they make a really pretty border? I think this spring I'm going to plant them all along the borders of my flower gardens. So far I haven't had an issue with any bugs. Something munches on the leaves a little every few plants..but its nothing major.. I can share a little bit... sow plentiful.... reap plentiful.

My tomatoes... who knew tomatoes would grow so well Sept, Oct and Nov? I didn't. They are loaded with flowers and small tomatoes. Ive got about 3 that are over an inch in diameter. Had a little issue with the hornworms, but so far I'm winning the battle on that one. The dish soap stuff really does work on them. But you have to catch them early in the morning. Early gardener gets the worm... LOL

My beans are taking over the trellis. I don't think i sowed them thick enough. Next time I'll put more beans in the ground. They are loaded with pretty little white flowers. I have built in bug control on the bean vines. There are about 4 baby lizards.. they cant be 3 inches long, tail and all, that are living among the leaves. They pretty much keep watch all the time. Ive got beans about 2 inches long.. should be long till we can harvest a few of those.

My beets.... well after the first ones mysteriously got munched down to the nub I planted more. But this time in a pot on the patio. They are doing well putting on the first set of real leaves now. I just thinned them a little. They really are a pretty plants. Bright green leaves and the stalks are beet red color.

My carrots are doing well. They are about 2 inches tall now. I thinned them a little bit too. I have some growing in pots and some that are just sprouting in the garden area.. I'm thinking if Mr bunny liked beets.. the carrots don't stand a chance... but we'll see.

My cucumbers are just loaded with pretty yellow flowers. I was afraid the bees weren't coming around so i took a little tiny paint brush and pretended i was a bee... LOL Don't laugh too much its how i got my hibiscus to seed and my crepe myrtle.

The hibiscus that i started from seed is just exploding. Its put out new shoots from the ground and even has one flower bud on it. Usually they don't flower the first year. I have got so many seeds from this plant. I'm gonna have hibiscus everywhere this summer. They don't start blooming till May.. but they bloom all the way through October.

I'm anxious to get my hoop house up and going. Gonna try and raise some broccoli, cauliflower, kale, carrots , spinach, lettuce and brussel sprouts this Jan, Feb and Mar. As well as get my seeds going in Jan for the March outside planting. Ive got some basil seeds that I want to see how it will do in the hoop house. I just love fresh basil. Tomatoes, basil and mozzarella cheese... cant beat it.

Well that's about all i have for today. Have a great one.

No comments:

Post a Comment