Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The never ending tomato plant.

Welcome Lark!!! Congrats you are my first "follower"!! I really like your site as well. I'm sort of new to forums but I'll get the hang of it.

I cannot believe how many tomatoes I have on my plants. I paid 1.99 for 5 plants. One of them had a pretty good sized sucker on it so when I plucked it off, I just stuck it down in the ground. I cannot believe it is almost as big as the rest of the plants. And bearing just as well as the others.

When my plastic gets here for my hoop house, I think I'm going to start some more suckers in pots. It will be like the never ending tomato plant. Hey, I like that. The never ending tomato plant. I really like "Celebrity" tomatoes. They are a determinate but I'm just pondering... if i keep plucking suckers and starting them, maybe I can have tomatoes year around. Well except for July and August. It just gets too hot, they wont set fruit. Maybe if i put a little window air unit in my hoop house. Oh yea... i can just hear Mark... LOL, "so you want to give your plants air conditioning now??" LOL We'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Maybe I'll just plant a couple in pots and bring them in the house. I have a huge wall of windows that I could set them in front to get sun... or better yet buy a grow lamp and put them in my sewing room.... yes.. yes.. oh the possibilities!! My sewing room stays warmer than the rest of the house. Its not usual for it to stay about 80-85 in the day time during the summer. But it stays really cool in the winter. Oh fiddly dee... we'll think about that one tomorrow... or dream about it :).

Fresh tomatoes are just the best. On toast with mayo or chopped with basil and olive oil on pasta.. you just cant beat the flavor of a home grown tomato. I think its because they ripen on the vine as opposed to tomatoes in the store are usually picked a head of time. Maybe its the type? Heirlooms do tend to have a much better flavor then hybrids. Which makes sense... anything we humans fiddle with, usually looses something in the fiddle. And tomatoes are very very good for us. They have a huge amount of vitamin C. And getting out in the sun playing in the dirt is very good for a persons emotional health. Working with your hands or growing a plant releases a feel good hormone in our brains. It gives us a sense of worth. God really knew what he was doing when he created our bodies!

Have I mentioned I'm still waiting on my plastic.... patience isn't a virtue I possess.

Oh well... enough rambling for today... get out there.. stick something in the dirt and watch it grow... doesn't take patience, but it does take faith.'

No comments:

Post a Comment