Monday, October 10, 2011

OK.. so gardening is not for the squimish



OK... so this is what I'm doing this morning. Turning the dirt up and seeing exactly what I have to work with as far as dirt goes. I'm about 1/2 done. Its really good dirt!! About 10 inches down... didn't see the need to go further.
I started in the north end and am working my way back to the door. Once i got past the monster root.. it was about and inch in diameter and 6 feet long... its going pretty good. Deb vs root... it lost. I put all my... my.. wei.. no lets say strength.. yea that's better.. all my strength against it... it turned loose.. and no i didn't do flip backwards when it turned loose.
Anyway... I'm turning dirt up and battling nut grass.. did i tell you i hate nut grass???, every once in a while I'll flip one of those little grey grubs with the reddish orange head up to the surface. No biggy... i got a bucket handy i flip them over in it. Brandon likes to fish with them. Then OMG i flipped the mac daddy of all grubs up. It was 4 inches long and about an inch in diameter.... i fled the scene. After I stopped shuttering... i went back over to the creature.. who by the way was making his way back down into my beautiful dirt.... I fed him to the birds... Hes on a board out in the middle of the yard. One of those hawks will make good use of him. That is one huge massive grub worm.
Making note.. I need to find out what to do about grub worms. seeing how i seem to have an abundance of them.
OH OH OH.. Update... a blue jay just took off with said grub worm.
I'm about half way through turning the dirt up. Then I'm gonna make my boxes for the plants.

Did i say i don't like having to wait for my plastic????? LOL. I will admit that doing all this prior to putting the plastic on was or is a pretty smart thing.

Anywho.... I'll post more pics in a bit

1 comment:

  1. GREAT BLOG! I look forward to viewing your blog, especially during my LONG WISCONSIN WINTER. Thank you for joining my website,

    www.larksperennials.com

    You are a great addition with all your knowledge and experience. Just jump right in. I love your style of gardening...dirty hands and a hard worker.

    ReplyDelete