Friday, October 14, 2011

Roses... just little rose bushes.

WELCOME!! Mrs Jessica!!! You are my 2nd follower... Thank you!

Well fall is finally here!! I woke up this morning to a nice cool morning. It was 59 outside this morning. A very welcome break from the 80 degree nights of the summer.
As I walked around outside I cant help but be in awe of the world around us. There is an old saying, "You have to stop and smell the roses", I thought about that this morning. Arent we all guilty of just admiring the roses? They are beautiful.. no doubt, but unless you get down close you miss the sweet perfume.

I lost two roses this year. My pink and yellow. The heat was just too much for them I suppose. Not sure why they gave up. It wasnt a huge monetary loss for I had only paid .99 cents for each of them. They were so sad looking on clearance at Kroger. Most of their leaves missing... just sad sad little plants. So brought them home, gave them new potting soil, a bigger pot for they were root bound terribly, a nice drink of water and food and a bright sunny place to live. Within a few days they had new leaves and little  buds forming. They did fine until this year, it was about 3 years Ive had them. I dont know if disease got to them or if maybe they just had a short life span. Some plants do. But for 3 years I enjoyed, almost year around, beautiful little pink and yellow roses not much bigger than a silver dollar. The yellow one had the most wonderful smell if you got close enough.

This got me to thinking this morning. How many people are around us.. in our daily path that are like those two rose bushes? To most every one passing they were dead. The plants were dead.. they were responding to the enviorment and treatment. At one time, probably when they were delieverd to the store, they were beautiful thriving plants full of beautiful flowers. HOw many people around us are like that? Years ago they were thriving happy people. But over time life has changed them. Maybe they didnt get enough love (water), maybe they didnt get enough sunshine (love), maybe living in their life(bound pot) finally got to them. We never really know.

There is a little old man that lives next to me. Im sure there is a story there... and not so sure if i want to know. But he has one daughter that comes around the first of the month. She helps him pay his bills, in that she helps him make up for what he doesnt have enough to pay. ON that note... seniors are struggling with the high utility bills... seriously. He is hard of hearing so she has to speak loudly and if I'm sitting on the deck,, I can hear the conversations. There must be bad memories there. Shes is such a hard lady. She's very sharp with him at times. I have a feeling there is a reason.
Said all that to say this. Hes slowly coming around. When we first moved in he never spoke or waved. But everytime I would see him on his deck .. i would wave and say hello. You can see my little gardenette from his porch. The other day i was outside plucking weeds... a NEVER ending task... and he walked over. He was so impressed that I had little tomatoes on my vine. He told me when he was younger he always had tomato, pepper and cucumber plants.
Does he need a little water? Does he need some food? Has the life he has lived come to full reality to him? I dont know. I can look at it from my perspective because I wasnt a part of it. I can be more objective than say another family member.
I think this spring I'm going to pot him a tomato and a pepper plant that he can raise on his deck. There is something about keeping a plant alive that gives a person purpose. What is life without purpose? In keeping something alive.. we ourselves begin to live. I think Gods word talks about that when it instructs us to love our neighbor. If we show love... we in turn begin to recieve love.
Stop and smell the wonderful aroma of life... it can be a wonderful break in a hectic life.

No comments:

Post a Comment