Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Two new tomato vines in 7 days

Today I'm giving my little baby tomato rootings a taste of real soil. November the 23rd I took a couple of cuttings from my tomato bushes and put them in water to root.. no rooting hormone.. just filtered water. I learned something. Roots do not like light. They root so much faster in a dark container instead of a clear container.
This was two days later. You can see little roots shooting out.

This is today. 7 days later and it has roots almost 6 inches long. I did change the water a couple of times.
You can see on the right the cup I rooted them in. Next time... dark cup.

This is their new home in the green house for about 2 weeks. Then i will transplant them into their permanent pot and tie em up ready for the winter in the hot house.

I was really amazed how quickly they would take root and grow. Normally to get a plant to this stage from seed it takes about 6-8 weeks. In one week these two have gone from just a cutting off of the parent plant to fully growing tomato plants.
Update on my carrots while blogging. This is the way to grow carrots... safe from the bunnies.

You can see the last few beans on my vines. They aren't liking the cool weather.
 I don't think I'll get many more off these vines. The lizards love these vines. They hide all in them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment