Monday, November 28, 2011

Home made Laundry detergent

Dont be fooled. This is some cleaning stuff!!! It will clean whites without the need for clorox. Its color safe. Ive not noticed any of my clothes fading.
Lets get started.
You will need:
3 gallon bucket
1 gallon bucket
Hand held grater or Food Processor
1 bar of Fels Naptha soap
1 cup of Washing Soda (Arm and hammer.. not baking soda)
1/2 cup of Borax.

All of these things can be found at Walmart. They dont do a great job of keeping them in stock. They are out of the soap, washing soda and borax pretty regularly. Brookshire Brothers has them however. They are all on the laundry soap aisle. Most of the time on the bottom shelf.

This is the soap. The finer you grate it, the easier it is to melt it into a liquid form. It really doesnt take that long. Ive used my food processor before.. it wont hurt it as its just soap and will wash very clean.
Your going to put this grated soap in 1 gallon of warm water. NOT HOT.. just luke warm. It will clump up on you if its hot. I let it set about 8 hours and just stir it every once in a while. It will be very very soapy.

1 cup of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
This comes in a box but i keep it in a plastic container in the laundry room so it doesnt get cakey down here in all our humidity. Same thing with the Borax. I purchased all of these back in April. Ive made soap for my, my sister, my mom and my kids and still have plenty left. This is Arm and Hammer washing soda. Its very handy to have around the house.
Borax ( there are many brands) 1/2 cup

Put 2 gallons of cool water in your 3 gallon bucket. Make it cool water because the borax will heat up just a little when you add water to it. I guess you should use gloves.. but i havent so far. Pour your borax and washing soda in the water. NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. ALWAYS ADD DRY TO WATER... NOT WATER TO DRY.
Mix this until its combined.. it doesnt take long.
Add your melted soap to the bucket. Mix well. I use my hands.. it makes them very soft when I am done. Now.. youre going to let this sit at least 12 hours. Overnight is fine. When you come back it will be almost a solid form. Stir it very well again. Its got an odd texture. Then pour it in old laundry soap containers. Shake before you use it. If you want a scent now is when you add it. Use pure essential oils not scents. 5 to 6 drops per recipe. I like it because it doesnt have a scent. I use a laundry sheet in the dryer to add the scent.
It only takes 1/2 cup per load. Thats all!!!
If you prefer powder you can forgo all the water and just mix the dry ingredients then use 1 tbls per load. I just prefer a liquid.
The total of all the ingredients should run you around 8 dollars. Then all you have to buy is another bar of soap when you are running low.
It doesnt suds up, which makes it great for front loader machines. But it cleans!!

No comments:

Post a Comment