Friday, November 18, 2011

Its just a beautiful day outside today!

Its just a beautiful day today! Its cool but not cold. The sky is blue. Just a small breeze blowing. Wonderful day to work in the yard.
I couldn't believe by 8am this morning after a night of cold (38degree) weather that I had to not only open the door to my green house but open one of the sides as well. When the sun wakes up and hits it.. it really heats up fast.

I was going to mow the front yard today. Then I noticed it had a few leaves on it. I don't have many trees in my yard so leaves are far and few between. The ones I do get are blown in from a neighbors tree. So.. being the short attention spanned person I am... decided to rake those up before mowing as the mower chomps them up into mulch.
Raking leaved made me think of making some compost tea.. shoot.. no poop. Gotta have some kind of animal poo to make compost tea. Just about that time the new neighbor in the back passed. So with bucket in hand away I went..... sorry leaves.
Very nice man. His kids are going to move into the property when he gets all the burned mobile home removed. I asked if I could have a little horse poo. He laughed and said... "follow me". So I followed him to the backside of the property where he showed me a beautiful pile of aged horse poo. "Take all you want" he said. Woohoo!!. He then mentioned the kids have horses and will move them into the fenced areas of the property. I told him I would love to have that pile of poo at my house. He looks at me funny and said."and just what would you do with it?". Make garden beds!! of course. To my delight he informed me that next time he had his tractor down here he would move that beautiful pile to my back yard... woooooooooohoooooo... I'm gonna have beautiful tomatoes next year!!!
Back to the leaves.. LOL
I finished raking and putting my few leaves in the plastic bin.. watering them down good and putting a lid on them. Reminding myself i need to buy worms next time I am at Mikes Hardware. I threw in the green bean vines that didn't make it through the cold night, a few egg shells and a 3# coffee container of used coffee grounds, gave it a good stir and put the lid on. Now... stir that everyday for a month or so and I'll have beautiful compost here in a couple of month. Ok.. got that chore done.
OOOOOOOOh.. I was making compost tea wasn't i? LOL. bucket... I need a bucket. So searching the 1/2 acre hill I reside on I found a 5 gallon bucket... not a lot of tea.. but it could work. Oh shoot... I threw all my kitchen scraps in the compost. Oh well.. let me go see what I can find. I decided that the old cucumber vines and a few chomped up banana leaves could replace the kitchen scraps for the "green manure" part of my tea.
Now... leaves, horse poo, green bean vines and  banana leaves...ooooooooooooooooooooooooh.. that leads me to the stinky stuff. NASTY!!!!
Fill the bucket with water and give it a good stir... "brb I told the bucket". On the side of the house is another bucket that no one but me will attempt to open. So I carried it carefully back to the compost area... take a deep breath.. cuz Lord knows i ain't breathing until the lid is back on.... pour a few cups of the liquid in the compost tea... put the lid back on... BREATHE.. sigh.. LOL. What is in this bucket you might ask? Its fish. Fish heads and skeletons of fish mixed with water. The plants love it.. but OOOOOOOOOEMMMM GEEE does it stink.
OK... Time to go fix myself a glass of iced tea and sit in the sun for a few minutes before I find something else to get into.
Talk to you soon.....
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment