Friday, September 23, 2011

Compost Tea

I will be honest here, until a few weeks ago I had never heard of compost tea. Its not for human consumption but the plants LOVE it,
In a 2 gallon bucket put 2 cups cow manure, 2 cups of compost, and whatever you have handy in your compost containter in the kitchen. Mine had potato peels, onion skins, lettuce and cabbage leaves and egg shells. Fill with water and put a top on it. Set it in the sun for a couple of days. Yea, yea it kinda smells when you take the top off. Reading another page it talks about adding fish emulsion to the mixture. I'm sure Lowe's has it. I think the fact it gets so hot during the day adds to it breaking down and making a "tea" with the water. I also let my water set out for a day or two to allow the chlorine to evaporate.
   Online, several hooked a fish tank pump up to it and it pumps oxygen in the mixture.. but i didnt have one so i just let it sit. Stir it and let it settle then pour the liquid on your veggie plants and flowers. I didnt get any on the leaves, i was afraid it would burn them, but after further reading it would have been fine. I buried the solids left in the bottom in my compost bed.
   OMG.... I couldnt believe how fast the plants would react. My cucumber plants I know have grown 4 inches since yesterday. My tomatoes are over 2 feet tall now and blooming. The green beans are vining everywhere. I was just amazed how fast they would grow feeding them a very organic fertilizer. My rose is doing great but when i gave her a drink of this mixture, this morning the leaves look even deeper green.

    I have at least another 60 days before our average first frost, so I think my tomatoes, cucumbers and green beans will be almost finished producing by then. I have some peas im going to start in October, the gardening page says they dont mind a mild frost. I think my carrot and spinach seeds were old.. not one of them sprouted. Next time.. I will only buy from Mr Friedeck.. NOT walmart. I'll run by there some time this week and get some more spinach seeds not sure if i have enough time for carrots. Wont that be a pretty bed? Collards in the middle surrounded by mustard then edged with spinach. All three dont mind a frost or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment