Sunday, April 8, 2012

Are you a sweet pea or a blackeyed pea?

Just pondering this morning out among all the plants and seeds planted yesterday. You know sweet pea and snow pea season is long gone. Jan, Feb and maybe March but not this year, is their season. They just cant take the heat at all.
Sweet peas and snow peas are wonderfully fresh tasting. They grow when the weather is cool... almost cold. The vines will literally melt on you if its hot. So this past winter, I think we had a winter??, starting in late November I had sweet peas in the green house. I learned next year PLANT MORE!! I didn't plant near enough!
 But to cook them, that is if you don't eat them raw, you just saute them or steam them for a short time and they are done. Just as they are.. nothing needed they are very tasty.

Black eyed peas are the opposite. They like HOT almost dry weather to grow. And refuse to sprout unless the ground is about 70 degrees. Once sprouted they will not tolerate a frost. Their little leaves just turn black and curl up. They just flourish in the hot sun.
To cook them you cant be gentle about it. They have to be cooked for a while to be tender and usually need onions and a little bacon to make them taste really good. They love the heat not on growing but in cooking.

I was pondering these two peas this morning wondering which one I would fall into. And I'm thinking I'm more of a Black eyed pea. I don't like cold.. and there is nothing gentle about me. And I usually need a bit of seasoning before I can be of use..LOL....!

Anywho... y'all have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment